The ACWCL was chartered on March 13, 1922 in Ashland County. The Articles of Incorporation list the founding name as “The Ashland County Fish and Game Association” located in Ashland, Ohio. The names on the article of incorporation are J.R Vanetta, J.H Westaver, L.J. Sharp, B.F. Zercher, H.A. Mowery, Geo M Rosborough and C.R. Gortner all from Ashland, Ohio. The non-profit corporation was formed for the purpose of;–Promoting the interest of legitimate sport with rod and gun, to inforce the laws for the protection and propagation of fish and game within this state; to enforce as far as possible the trespass laws; and to protect property of the members of the association as well residents of the County who are interested in the propagation of the fish and game. The charter document is on file with the State of Ohio.
On June 11, 1931, the membership voted to adopt an amendment to change the name from “The Ashland County Fish and Game Association” to “The Ashland County Wild Life Conservation League”. Officers of the association J.W. Ogden, President and J.L. Hamilton, Secretary, filed a Certificate of Amendment with the Secretary of State on June 23, 1931 to change the name with the Secretary of State.